Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Joy of Writing

What is it about writing? The joy of expression? The joy of creation? I'm not really sure. I do know that I derive great enjoyment and satisfaction in seeing my words and thoughts on the screen or on paper.

I love writing my NCIS Mavericks fan fiction. It's got to the point where the character I created, Sam, almost feels real. I love being able to play with my favorite characters, even if some of them have a tendency to do what they want, not what I want. I find Gibbs and Ducky to be the worst offenders. I know what I want to write....and I find myself writing something else entirely! lol. That mistletoe kiss in my Christmas Mavericks episode was NOT my idea!

It's also a real buzz when other people enjoy Mavericks. I've had several people contact me asking me when they're going to see some Sibbs action! Took me a while to realize what the heck they meant. Then the shock that set in as I realized that Sam was becoming as real to others as she is to me!

I am also loving writing the blog on the NCIS Fan Site. It is very different to writing fiction, but equally as satisfying. I try to include people's names where I can when I have had feedback. I know the simple joy of seeing your name in "print" somewhere. I remember the shock I got in reading one of Rocky Carroll's blogs to discover myself mentioned in his blog. Actually, shock doesn't come close. *laughs* Rocky mentioned several regular blog readers with a "these are the ones that come to mind readily" sort of comment. I'm memorable? Wow! *laughs* Is it wrong for me to want other people to feel a similar buzz? I'm no celebrity blogger, but a name in print is a name in print, I guess.

And then there is the simple sharing of thoughts with friends (and casual readers). As satisfying and as warming as any other form of writing.

3 comments:

  1. At this rate you're going to have to give up work to dedicate yourself to writing full time - LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget your humor chops - you're a natural. The genre is first person observational humor, and you write it well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Juanita. Only if someone pays me!

    Thanks Kathy. :)

    ReplyDelete